This second reference is about Computer Game-Flow design. Written by M. J. Taylor, D. Gresty and M. Baskett.
http://delivery.acm.org.ueaezproxy.uea.ac.uk:2048/10.1145/1120000/1111300/p3a-taylor.pdf?ip=139.222.129.6&acc=ACTIVE%20SERVICE&CFID=47701614&CFTOKEN=38891450&__acm__=1318519336_c972f70088336bccab863b1fa07e91d3
The article talks about a design method known as 'Game-Flow' design. The method is simple, you use something similar to a flow diagram to plot the flow of gameplay through a level or the game in general. This is used in story driven games to see how the player will progress through a level, RPG games (as stated in my previous reference) are considered more story driven than most games. Since the level I am designing is for an RPG game I need to consider tailoring the level to certain 'classes' of characters within the game.
This would mean creating alternative routes through levels for different classes. With this in mind I believe that using a Game-Flow diagram would benefit me in displaying how different player types would progress through the level allowing me to design a more interesting and thought out level design in the long run.
Furthemore, if my project were to be expanded I would probably add a quest into the level and as such an established Game-Flow would be a useful source for me to design the quest around.
As with your previous entry, this is what i am looking for.
ReplyDeleterob