Sunday, 2 October 2011

The evolution of an idea - The First Step

The idea I had for my project piece came about sevearl months ago while I was playing the game Fallout New Vegas and noticed how all the 'dungeon' segments were designed to allow a player to reach the same location (or objective) through different means...IE the player could either pick a lock to get through a door or hack the control pannel to unlock the door electronically, or take the long way around, which was more dangerous.

I have wanted to make an item using the Fallout New Vegas Development Tools, known as the 'G.E.C.K'. It was from there that the idea for my dissertation started to assemble itself. As someone who has an interest in architecture and design consistancy throughout fictional pieces, my idea grew into the following:

Re-produce the Waterfront building of University Campus Suffolk in a way so that it fits perfectly into the Fallout New Vegas video game.
Someone previously had used the Waterfront as a basis of their project and failed, however they did not consider the fact that they were producing the building for a game, they were doing a faithful recreation, when that is almost never applicable to a gamespace.

My idea was to recreate the buildings exterior, however I would reimagine it in the style of a retro 1950's 'world of tomorrow' art deco style. The interior would take inspiration from the existing building. However because the setting of the game is a post-apocalyptic enviroment I know that walls could have holes in them, celings could be caved in to work as makeshift staircases, debris could block off areas I did not want the player to go etc.

I believed my idea was a valid and interesting project.

However...
After investigating the matter, I recieved advice that it was not only a bad idea but a pointless idea. Why recreate the Waterfront building when I can do an interior and put it inside any exterior building I choose, especially since the focus is the design of levels within the context of an RPG-shooter hybrid game. After pondering it, I agreed that not replicating the waterfront building was a better idea. I will still be taking inspiration from existing building interiors for the map. However the idea of the piece will be focusing primarily on level design.

To put it simply my dissertation is the following: Creating an interior level within the Fallout New Vegas level creation tool that allows the player to reach a 'goal' multiple ways which compliments their characters 'abilities'.

I know the game well so the only research needed will be that of level design.

Should I reach this goal I can easily expand the project to increase its content should be necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment