http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/Bethsoft_Tutorial_Navmesh
This past weekend I have been looking through the G.E.C.K to get to grips with it while comming up with concept for the level.
During my investigation of the G.E.C.K I discovered the whole process of 'Navmesh"-ing a level. The point of Navmesh is to place plane on the worldspace that you create, this is represented by a semi-transparent red floor. This tells the NPCs in the environment that this is the place in the game that you can walk. Going by the description on the GECK wiki it seems that it is only necessary if you intend to include NPC's in a level.
However my project is that of level design, more specifically the design of the worldspace, not NPC and quest design. The question I am asking myself is as followed:
"Should I Navmesh my level or not?"
If I were to Navmesh said level it would mean that should I wanted to expand my project to include a quest with NPCs and enemies I would be all set from the get go to start scripting and placing down AI characters.
However, Navmeshing the level would take time, time that could be considered wasted if the project is not then expanded upon.
I personally believe it is worth the extra time to Navmesh the level, it is worth attempting to get it in the level. Furthermore it would mean it is all prepared for NPCs and AI characters to be placed in the environment should they need to. If I am pushed for time or resources I can easily miss out the process if I need to.
No comments:
Post a Comment